Experience the professional life of zzolo
3109 King St #D
Berkeley, CA 94703
+1 770 596 1951
- Built web applications for community engagement as an inaugural 2011 Fellow at Code for America, working in Python and Node.js, with a focus on agile, test-driven development.
- Co-authored a book entitled Mapping with Drupal published by O'Reilly Media.
- Managed a small web team as well as sustainably upgraded and fully restructured the resource library built on Drupal in my position as Web Manager at Shelter Centre, a small NGO in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Co-founded and current organizer of Open Twin Cities, a group focused on creating a better citizen and government collaborative experience in the Twin Cities through technology.
- Co-founded and current staff of Free Geek Twin Cities, a Free Geek chapter aimed at reducing e-waste and bridging the digital divide in the Minneapolis area.
- Presented on Drupal and mapping at DrupalCons in Chicago, Copenhagen, and Paris.
- Architected and implemented Drupal solutions as a Lead Developer at Trellon for large non-profits including the Jane Goodall Institute, Mozilla, and InterAction.
- Developed web applications for non-profit clients as Senior Developer at Chicago Technology Cooperative, focusing on building solutions with Drupal and CiviCRM.
- Maintained and supported the Drupal OpenLayers module, considered one of the leading options for mapping in Drupal, as well as other modules on Drupal.org.
- Participated in coding competitions for social change at events like Apps for Communities, Code for Oakland, Hack for Change, and the F1 Overnight Web Challenge.
- Organized events like Drupal Daze and the first ever Drupal Non-Profit Summit, as well as local Drupal community groups in Minneapolis and Geneva.
Interactive News Developer
Implementing interactive stories and pieces in collaboration with reporters and the data team.
- Working closely with reporters and editors to supplement stories with visual and interactive elements.
- Collaborating with the data team to create interactive stories based on compelling data sets.
- Promoting and implementing open source policies, including making almost all code written open on Github.
- Experimenting with open source technologies to enable new and cost-effective ways of telling the news.
Created open source tools for cities to utilize and replicate in multiple places, while shifting culture around technology use within government.
- Worked closely with the city of Seattle, while interviewing community members, to create solutions that fit the city's goals as service providers to citizens.
- Lead team in open sourcing main project focusing on enhancing civic engagement and encouraging citizens to address neighborhood needs.
- Actively learned new technologies, including Python and Node.js, on own and engaging other fellows with specific expertise.
- Mentored Google Summer of Code students in building PHP-based civic API wrappers.
- Built application focused on team building that highlights code commits.
Administered, developed, and enhanced the organization's web services, as well as managed the entire office technology infrastructure.
- Created and implemented upgrade path to Drupal 6 that focused on removing unnecessary structures, migrating to a more sustainable infrastructure, adding new geo-focused functionality, while minimizing downtime to the site.
- Managed multiple assistants with focus in areas such as systems administration, web administration, and web content management.
- Created and maintained a documentation repository that fully describes the infrastructure and services in the office.
- Enhanced the office and web infrastructure with open source tools to provide a stable, sustainable, robust, and scalable system.
Chicago Technology Cooperative
Developed multiple Drupal solutions for the custom needs of non-profit organizations, with a focus on mapping and integrating CiviCRM.
- Collaborated in small teams to analyze, architect, and implement web application solutions.
- Created many custom Drupal modules to fit the needs of various projects, mainly modules that added integration between Drupal and CiviCRM.
- Planned and implemented migration paths for both sites and data.
- Lead an internal documentation initiative to help better organize the companies collective intellectual resources.
Provided development and leadership on large Drupal web projects.
- Collaborated in small teams with well-known Drupal community members to complete large scale web applications.
- Developed many custom Drupal modules to fit the specific needs of clients.
- Implemented themes based on design specifications.
Minneapolis College of Art and Design
Administered multiple MS SQL Server instances. Focused on cleaning, enhancing, and maintaining Jenzabar, an education-focused, integrated, database application. Maintained and developed multiple web sites and web servers. Focused on adding functionality to existing web sites.
- Provided technical support as well as created and lead a Jenzabar User Group.
- Enhanced security of both MS SQL Server and Jenzabar allowing for easier management and scalability.
- Collaborated with other IT members to establish sustainable development environment, including code versioning and backups.
- Worked towards standardizing and modularizing the code base for the multiple web sites.
- Optimized Apache and server configurations to significantly improve performance.
- Co-authored book entitled Mapping with Drupal published by O'Reilly Media, focused on providing a solid base for Drupal site builders and architects to get up to speed with web mapping and specifically mapping in Drupal.
The following are significant projects that I have created or contributed to on Github.
- Legislature Tracker is a UI and editorial layer on top of the Open States API for a specific state.
- MN Boundary Service is an implementation of a boundary service for Minnesota.
- Change by Us focuses on encouraging citizen engagement to make their neighborhoods and cities better. This is not currently open source yet but will be soon.
- Commitalization is a Node.js application that utilizes Github webhooks to create a live visualization of selected projects.
- Badger v Panda provided a playful mechanism to vote on our mascot at Code for America; written with Node.js and utilizing websockets to provide a voting system where users can see as votes come in.
- City Hero, an early iteration on the engagement toolkit idea, it provides a handholding approach to help citizens participate in their cities; written on Node.js.
- HistoryNear.Me is a simple application to help people find historic sites near them; built for the San Diego Apps competition.
The following are significant projects that I have created or contributed to on Drupal.org.
- OpenLayers is a full featured integration module between the Drupal content system and the OpenLayers mapping library. This is a widely used module focused on flexibility and extensibility.
- Encryption provides a basic, pluggable encryption API for Drupal.
- TypeKit is a simple module integrating the TypeKit service with Drupal.
- I gave a talk about the MinnPost Nice Ride visualization and another about D3.js at the Twin Cities Data Visualization meetup.
- I was on a panel about data visualization hosted by the Minnesota School of Journalism.
- I was on a panel about open source in government at Open Gov West 2011 Portland.
- I gave a presentation on the state of geospatial in Drupal entitled Spatially Drupal at DrupalCamp Twin Cities.
- I co-presented Making Beautiful Maps ([video]) at DrupalCon Chicago 2011.
- I co-presented Mapping with OpenLayers ([video]) at DrupalCon Copenhagen
- I was a featured speaker at Drupal Dev Days in Munich and spoke on both Coding Standards and OpenLayers.
- I was a featured speaker presenting on OpenLayers at DrupalCamp Spain.
- I co-presented on OpenLayers at DrupalCon Paris.
- I spoke about Drupal coding standards and best practices at DrupalCamp Wisconsin.
I am active in fostering and creating in-person and online communities.
- I co-founded and help organize Open Twin Cities, a group focused on creating a better collaborative citizen experience through technology.
- I co-founded and current staff of Free Geek Twin Cities, a Free Geek chapter in the Minneapolis area.
- I founded and organize the Twin Cities (Data) Visualization meetup.
- I helped organize the first Drupal Non-Profit Summit at the 2011 Bay Area Drupal Camp.
- I led the first ever Code Review Sprint to review project applications at DrupalCon Chicago 2011
- I led a number of BoF (Bird of Feather) discussions at DrupalCon Chicago 2011, including Drupal Geospatial Stack and Drupal and Government.
- I led the Drupal geospatial BoF and cvs application reviewing BoF at DrupalCon Copenhagen.
- I jump-started the Swiss Romandy Drupal User Group.
- I helped organize and lead a BoF about OpenLayers and GIS in Drupal at DrupalCon Paris.
- I organized a Twin Cities Documentation Sprint.
- I organized a successful, monthly Twin Cities Drupal Happy Hour.
- With the help of a couple other Open Circuit members, I organized a Drupal Camp in the Twin Cities called Drupal Daze.
The following are some of the other events I have attended over the years.
- Attened NICAR 2012.
- Attended Open Gov West 2011 Portland.
- Participated in Hack for Change and created Safehood.
- Participated in Code for Oakland and created ComTXT.
- Attended WhereCamp San Francisco 2011.
- Attended Where Conf 2011.
- Attended DrupalCon London with a Drupal Association Scholarship.
- Attended DrupalCon Chicago.
- Attended DrupalCon Copenhagen with a Drupal Association Scholarship.
- Should have attened DrupalCon San Francisco but a volcano got in the way.
- Attended DrupalCon Paris.
- Attended DrupalCon DC.
- With a team of 10, I help build a Drupal site for a non-profit in the 2009 F1 Overnight Website Challenge.
- Attended the Twin Cities event Drupal Day.
BBA, Computer Information Systems
Appalachian State University
A comprehensive program that focused on various systems and project management.
- Team Leader and Lead Programmer on final project building payroll system for current employer.